Sewology Sunday - Getting Perfect Centers February 01 2015, 11 Comments
Before the football and eating begins we are squeezing in a little Sewology Sunday post to accompany the Arcadia Avenue QAL post tomorrow. We thought it might be nice to share how to get perfect centers on your Arcadia Avenue hexagon blocks before most of you start sewing! With all those points and paper coming into one place, the centers can get bulky and not lay flat. We had quite a few less than perfect centers before we finally figured out a system that worked for us.
- Once you have all 12 wedges paper-pieced and trimmed it is time to make the hexagons! Lay the pieces out and in the order you would like.
- Pair the foundations into 6 sets of 2 and sew them into triangles.
- Carefully remove the paper from the seam on both sides.
- Press the seam open.
- Trim the point of the seam to approximately 1/8".
- When you sew the triangles into rows, remove the paper from and press open each seam.
- Now that you have two rows of three, the center seams should look like this.
- Before you sew the two halves together, pin them in place. The centers will be a little thick, so here is my little trick! Stick a pin through the center of each half, then pin on each side of the bulk.
- Sew the two halves together and remove the paper from the seam.
- Press the seam open and Voila!
Well that's all folks! Give it ago and see how it works for you. We will be sharing our Fly Away blocks tomorrow, so be sure to stop by! Now, back to football, food and family =] Happy Super Bowl Sunday!