Arcadia Avenue QAL Final Reveal - Take 2
Alrighty! I am back in Colorado and finally sharing the finished batik quilt from our Arcadia Avenue QAL! I love how this version turned out. My Mom used assorted teal, blue and purple batiks for the colors, assorted pinks for the accent, a black batik for the dark and a cream batik for the light.
My Mom did a great job documenting the audition process for the background fabrics. We originally picked out some dark fabrics (well honestly, I talked her into it).
- Here are the dark fabrics cut and laid out with the blocks. My mom hated it! The blocks blend into the background and she as less than happy.
- Here she is auditioning some light fabrics. I got a few different photo messages from here and we decided these are a little too yellow.
- She found two grey/blue batiks (shown in 3 & 4) that she ended up using for the background. She wanted the outside triangles and half triangles to be a different darker batik. Here she is trying out a couple and neither are quite right.
- Here are a few more auditions. We decided the greens were too green and the teal was too dark.
- Here she is auditioning 3 medium teals that have hints of purple and blue in them. We chose the one in the middle and the purple batik shown to border the quilt.
Here are a few of our favorite blocks in this quilt. First up (in no particular order) is Find Your Own Way, block 11. She loves the subtle pop of pink in the center and the dark batik print that she added. Next up is Starburst, block 10. This is block where she lost her light batik and had to use a different fabric but you would never know! She used 12 different teals and added little pops of pink in the center and on the edges. Last up is Fly Away, block 1. She made three different versions of this block and settled on this one! It is completely different than the original!
Quick Quilt Stats:
- Made and quilted by: Kristy Wolf
- Quilting: vertical wavy lines about 3/4" - 1" apart
- Pattern: Arcadia Avenue
- Fabric: Assorted blue, purple and teal batiks with pops of pink!
- Finished Size: 72" x 90"
- Techniques: Foundation paper-piecing
We found a wide batik backing that is a similar blue color to the background fabrics. It has a fun pebbled pattern and works great! She quilted this version with vertical wavy lines across the quilt. We chose a medium teal batik for the binding and it finished it up perfectly!
Bauer crashed this photo shoot too! Anytime I have my camera out, he becomes a little ham! He rarely looks directly at the camera, but he does make sure he is between me and whatever I am taking a photo of - or on my lap! So, here are the best shots of Bubbs.
And here is an adorable shot of Mom and Bauer grinning like goons in front of the quilt! I love these two!
What do you think? I think it is quite striking and my Mom loves it now that it is done =] Now your turn! We want to see how your blocks and quilts are coming along! We have a Flickr group so you can add your photos there!
First time here? No problem! Join in the fun. Grab a book here, read up on the previous posts here and begin when it works for you! Be sure to use the #ArcadiaAvenueQAL hashtag on Instagram and Twitter too! Thanks for stopping by and be sure to stop back by to see the next big reveal!
Amy Cotham said:
How are you quilting this?