Introducing Empire Place! January 05 2016, 2 Comments
Happy 2016! We had a fun year of creating in 2015 and a terrible few months of blogging, (or lack thereof)! So, I am trying my best to get caught up on all the patterns from Fall Market before moving onto our 2016 patterns!
We are kicking things off with Empire Place!
Empire Place is our newest pattern book. Like it's predecessor, Arcadia Avenue, this quilt was also designed as a Block-of-the-Month. The quilt has 18 blocks featuring 9 unique paper-pieced diamond blocks. Empire Place was inspired by our favorite time in art and architecture. The Art Deco era is exemplified by the geometric designs of famous buildings we see all over the world, including my personal favorite, the Chrysler Building in New York. Each of the 9 block designs in the book were influenced by the shapes and flare of this fun time in history.
This pattern book includes the following:
- Full paper-piecing directions
- Swatch list to help keep your fabrics organized
- Full-size foundations
- Actual cutting directions for easy foundation piecing
- Coloring pages
- Suggested Quilting Ideas
- And of course, directions for the entire quilt!
To make your life easier, we have put together Empire Place Foundation Papers to accompany the book. They include all the papers needed to complete one Empire Place quilt!
Our talented friend Juli Kieny made and quilted this Empire Place cover quilt using American Made Brand solids. The 18 colorful solids chosen for the Assorted fabrics against a solid black background with white and gray accents, creates a stunning cover quilt! For a list of the exact skus used, click here.
Here is Juli posing with the quilt in the American Made Brand booth at Quilt Market in Houston.
We struggled to find the perfect location to shoot this quilt. I wanted to find a location that had the same pizazz and flair as the Art Deco era. The little suburban town we live in did not prevail with such a location! While driving around we spotted a trail underpass that had some detailed carvings on the concrete walls. We draped the quilt over the edge onto the wall and snapped some photos. I had to climb a little and trudged through some bushes to get the entire quilt. We loved the photo so much, it became our cover!
Here are a few quick facts:
- Empire Place finishes 72" x 90"
- The blocks are paper-pieced. If you can sew on a line, you can make this quilt! Check out how easy paper-piecing is.
- There are absolutely no Y-seams!
- Empire Place will only be available as a physical book, no PDF versions.
- The book includes exact cutting for each section of the foundations.
- Sassafras Lane will not be kitting any of the quilts, but if you know of a store who is, please let us know. We will add them to our Empire Place Info page!
To purchase an Empire Place book, click here! Be sure to add an Empire Place Foundation Paper set to get sewing soon! We have 5 other versions of Empire Place to share with you this week, so swing back by everyday this week to see a different version! Thanks for stopping by!