Sewology Sunday - Why we love Starch! February 10 2013, 3 Comments
Happy Sunday everyone! The perfect day for sipping tea, watching snow fall, magazine perusing and of course... sewing! For today's Sewology Sunday we are going to discuss Starch: a sewing girl's best friend! There are many reasons we love Starch.
We use Faultess Heavy Spray starch. It is available at Walmart for about a $1.00. It is a good deal for us because we can go through a can or two on a quilt top!
Why we love to Starch our fabrics:
- Tames bias edges (good for those 60 degree triangles!)
- Creases from long term folds iron out like a dream!
- Starch makes fabrics equal (batiks and homespuns will behave the same)
- You have more control over fabrics when sewing. (edges ride nicely next to the flange on a 1/4" seam foot)
- Creases are much crisper
- Points are are sharper
- Fabric doesn't shift when rotary cutting
- Mix 1/2 cup cold water and 1/4 cup Argo corn starch
- Add 4 cups of boiling water. Stir well.
- Let the mixture cool.
- Make sure to shake mixture before spraying on fabric!